SVRPLOT Home Page
SVRPLOT is a software package for IBM-compatible PCs written by John Hart, that NWS forecasters and researchers have been using for several years to analyze and map
severe weather events from the historical SPC severe weather archive. The archived database, in SVRPLOT format,
is included with this package. This version of the software is in the public domain and there are no
legal restrictions on its use beyond those for any other public-domain government material.
Make sure you very closely follow the included instructions or SVRPLOT will not work properly. SVRPLOT
files on this page take up a total of nearly 7 megabytes of space and unzip to over 20 megabytes! It is recommended that
you have a fast internet connection and at least 40 MB of hard drive space available (to handle current and future
data files). You will also need a commercial or shareware file decompression utility compatible with the "PKZIP" and "PKUNZIP"
shareware programs. Such programs can be obtained from sources on the Internet by using a search engine such as
Yahoo or AltaVista. You must have
an IBM-compatible PC (running either DOS or the DOS emulators in Windows 95 or OS/2) and a VGA or better color monitor.
We recommend a CPU of at least 486 DX/50, or Pentiums for optimal results; but SVRPLOT will work on most 386 machines.
Download each of these files:
Ater downloading the above files, open a DOS full screen to the directory containing them. Then
type SVRINST1 and press "ENTER". If you have any problems with downloading SVRLOT from our site,
or with installing via SVRINST1, e-mail Roger Edwards. If you have any
questions or problems with running SVRPLOT itself, which the enclosed documentation doesn't solve,
then e-mail John Hart.
- SVRINST1, the installation batch file [1K] IMPORTANT: Re-name this file to SVRINST1.BAT on your PC
- PGM.ZIP, program files [404K]
- SVR50.ZIP, 1950s SVRPLOT wind/hail data files [174K]
- SVR60.ZIP, 1960s SVRPLOT wind/hail data files [455K]
- SVR70.ZIP, 1970s SVRPLOT wind/hail data files [705K]
- SVR80.ZIP, 1980s SVRPLOT wind/hail data files [1417K]
- SVR90.ZIP, 1990s SVRPLOT wind/hail data files thru 1994 [1136K]
- TORN.ZIP, total SVRPLOT tornado database thru 1994 [745K]
SVRPLOT ERRATA from John Hart:
- To print SVRPLOT graphics, use the GRAPHICS command in conjunction with the print-screen key within DOS.
I believe that the print-screen key also works in Win95. Check your DOS manuals for more information.
- 1972 severe data has always been bad. I don't know the history, but it is not available.
- One extra feature that was not documented: You can specify only severe weather reports in a particular
state by adding this line to any SVRPLOT command: STATE=xx , where you
substitute the state FIPS number for the letters xx. State FIPS numbers are available
on this map.
The following zipped SVRPLOT data files are also available for dowloading. For them to work, these files must be saved into
your c:\svr\data directory and then unzipped:
A greatly updated version of SVRPLOT for Windows 95 is under development. We will make this new/improved SVRPLOT available
as soon as it is finished and de-bugged.
- SVR1995, 1995 zipped SVRPLOT wind/hail data file [300K]
- TORN1995, 1995 zipped SVRPLOT tornado data file [24K]
ELSEWHERE IN SPC